Academic Appeals Information
Q: Where can I find information on the Appeal Process?
A: The Student Handbook gives an outline of the appeal process.
Q: What can I appeal?
A: Students who wish Kettering College to make an exception to a standard academic policy may appeal in writing to the appeals committee through the registrar’s office. (Academic Bulletin)
Q: When should I appeal?
A: When students feel they have been the recipient of unfair, unethical, or discriminatory academic decisions, they may choose to use the academic grievance process to address their concerns. (Student Handbook)
- Attempt to resolve the issue with the professor or official most directly involved with making the decision.
- If unable to approach that individual, or if resolution is not available, the student may always go to that person's program chair or director.
- After all other attempts have been made; students may also wish to discuss the issue with one of the deans or the president.
- When more formal channels are useful, students are able to use the appeal process to request adjustments or exception from school policies.
Q: Where can I obtain an Appeal Form?
A: Use the link provided at the top of this page, or click here to download the form, or stop by the records office to pick up the blue Academic Appeals Form.
Q: What type of documentation should I submit with the Appeal Form?
A: Exceptions to policy may be made due to extenuating circumstances; therefore, documentation of those extenuating circumstances should be submitted with your petition. A few examples of extenuating circumstances are:
- Financial hardship due to loss of property by fire
- Illness or death of close relative
- Legal issues
Q: What signatures do I need before submitting the appeal?
A: You will need to obtain your program or department chair's signature before submitting your request to the registrar's office.
Q: What other Kettering College forms should be submitted with the signed appeal form?
A: Depending on your request you may need to submit additional forms.
- Change of registration form (add/drop) for changing a course load after deadlines. NOTE: It is strongly recommended students attend all classes while waiting for approval of withdrawal.
- Course evaluation form for approval of course work taken from another institution not affiliated with SOCHE.
- Consult with records office staff when submitting the appeal for other forms.