Math Placement Test
Transfer students bringing in the equivalent to Kettering College's MATH 105 (see this site's transfer credit section for more information about transferring courses) do not have to take the Math Placement Test.
Prospective respiratory care, human biology and nuclear medicine students without equivalent math transfer credit must take the Math Placement Test as an admission requirement for Kettering College.
Certain applicant situations may still require a student to take the Math Placement Test during the admission process. The admissions office will notify you if you fall into this category.
Reservations are required to take the Math Placement Test. The dates are listed below, and you can click the button to make your reservation.
Upcoming Math Placement Test Dates
(reservation required - all tests will be from 4p.m. - 5p.m.
more dates added as they are announced)
- November 19, 2014
- December 3, 2014
- December 10, 2014
- January 14, 2015
- January 28, 2015
- February 11, 2015
- February 25, 2015
- March 4, 2015
- March 18, 2015
- April 8, 2015
- April 22, 2015
- May 6, 2015
- May 20, 2015
- June 3, 2015
- June 10, 2015
- June 24, 2015
- July 8, 2015
- July 15, 2015
- July 22, 2015
- July 29, 2015
- August 5, 2015
- August 12, 2015
- August 19, 2015
Please make your reservation at least two days, but preferably one week, in advance to reserve a seat for one of the testing sessions listed above. If you live more than 100 miles from Kettering College and/or have any questions about the test, please e-mail Jeff Anderson.
Please bring a pencil and picture identification with you to the test. Upon arriving, please check in at the front desk of the college for location information.
The Math Placement Test consists of 50 multiple-choice questions, and you will have one hour to complete the test. No calculator is allowed. You are allowed to take the test only one time. Your score will be available on the next business day and will be given to the admissions office.
Concepts and topics to review for Math Placement Test
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of negative and positive numbers
- Place value and rounding of whole numbers and decimals
- Conversions between decimals, percentages and fractions
- Conversions within the metric system (prefixes: deci, milli, kilo, ect.)
- Order of operation, absolute value, distributive property
- Sum and average of numbers, measures of center (arithmetic mean, median, mode, midrange)
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of fractions
- Evaluating algebraic expressions
- Solving linear equations and proportions in one and two variables & solving inequalities in one variable
- Slope of a line, x & y intercepts of a linear equation and/or graph
- Interpreting graphs in two variables
- Laws of exponents, basic exponential and logarithmic functions
- Simplifying/collecting like terms
- Solving equations and formulas for the indicated variable in terms of the other variables
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of polynomials
- Factoring polynomials (GCF, ascending or descending order, number of terms) difference of squares, perfect square trinomial, factor by grouping, trial and error
- Solving quadratic equations using factoring & principle of zero products
- Word problems and applications in one and two variables
- Measures of variation (range, standard deviation and variance)
- Basic probability for simple events and compound events
- Basic trigonometry (sine, cosine, tangent, ect.)