Respiratory Care Admission Requirements
Applicants are considered for admission based on the
1. Graduation from an accredited high school with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.80 or have a previous college minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 for at least 12 credits (including at least one math and one science course).
2. ACT composite score of 22 or above or SAT combined score of 1500 or above, if graduated high school within three years of application.
3. Provide evidence of a quality academic background in basic science and mathematics. This will include a grade of at least C+ in high school algebra II and two science courses with laboratories, selected from biology, chemistry, or physics. A minimum grade of C is required for all college-level math and science courses whether completed at Kettering College or elsewhere.
4. Score of at least 70 percent on Kettering College math placement exam.
5. Completed student personal statement.
6. Additional acceptance qualifiers such as completion of job shadow experience, status as a current Kettering College student, ACT composite and/or SAT scores may influence acceptance.
Applicants must maintain minimal acceptance requirements in all academic work prior to matriculation into the program.
All students accepted for admission into the program must complete a mandatory four-hour job shadow experience with a respiratory therapist in a health care setting prior to enrolling in the first professional course (RESB). Forms to document the job shadow experience are available in the admissions office and here.
Students must request and pay to have a criminal background check performed by a College-approved service no more than six months prior to beginning the clinical experience. Please contact the admissions office for approved service contact information. Commencement of the clinical portion of the program is contingent upon successful clearance of the background check.
In order to participate in clinical activities, all students must have personal health insurance coverage and must maintain coverage during the time they are enrolled for professional courses (REBA).
- All college-required immunizations must be completed before the student can begin the clinical experience. Individual clinical sites may require additional immunizations, all of which must be completed and maintained throughout that assignment. The immunization record must be submitted prior to registration for classes.