FILM CRITICISM: A GUIDE TO INFORMATION RESOURCES
KC/Wright State and Affiliates Catalog
Search for books, videos and other materials in the library collection.
Useful LC SUBJECT HEADINGS for this topic:
Motion picture plays--History and Criticism (use for critiques of screenplays)
Motion picture producers and directors
Motion pictures—Production and direction
(Name)—(may have birth/death dates)—Criticism and interpretation
Useful LC CALL NUMBERS on this subject:
- Search the holdings of all OhioLINK member libraries. Materials listed as available may be requested for delivery to the Kettering College Library. Allow 2-3 business days for delivery.
|E-Book||Bigger Than Blockbusters: Movies That Defined America|
|E-Book||Disney, Pixar, and the Hidden Messages of Children's Films|
|E-Book||Encyclopedia of Religion and Film|
|E-Book||Jesus of Hollywood|
|E-Book||Movies in American History: An Encyclopedia|
|R PN1993.45.B33 2006||Dictionary of Film Terms: the Aesthetic Companion to Film Art|
|R PN1993.45.G65 2007||Schirmer Encyclopedia of Film|
|R PN1993.45.J23 1998||The Language of Cinema|
|R PN1997.85.T54 2005||Encyclopedia of Novels into Film|
|R PN1998.2.R66 2007||The Rough Guide to Film|
- Only current KC students, faculty and staff are able to access the library resources on this guide from off-campus. When accessing library resources from off-campus, a login screen will display.
- Students: enter your Student Portal user name and password.
- Faculty and staff: enter your network user name and password.
- Film Literature Index
- indexes 150 film and television periodicals from 30 countries cover-to-cover and 200 other periodicals selectively for articles on film and television. The periodicals range from the scholarly to the popular
- Note:This database does not provide the full-text of articles; it is stictly a citation database.
- Film and Television Literature Index
- includes film & television theory, preservation & restoration, writing, production, cinematography, technical aspects, and reviews
- Academic Search Complete
- Index to periodicals on a variety of subjects, including movie reviews. (Search for: film by title AND motion pictures--reviews)
- Arts and Humanitites Citation Index
- Citations and cited references from over 1,100 arts and humanities journals
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- Index, abstracts, and full text for journals in communication and mass media
- Article First
- Index to articles from over 12,000 journals in a variety of subject areas, including movie reviews.
- Art Abstracts
- Indexes journals, magazines and museum bulletins on all forms of art and crafts, including film.
- Electronic Journals Center
- Full-text indexing service for over 2000 online scholarly and research journals including many in the humanities
- Humanities International Complete
- provides indexing, abstracting, and full text of journals, books and other important reference sources in the humanities
- Modern Language Association International Bibliography
- Covers journals in language, linguistics and folklore; also includes selected articles on film criticism.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe
- Index to full-text newspaper articles, including movie reviews.
- Newspaper Source
- Index to full-text newspaper articles, including movie reviews
- International Index to Film Periodicals
- Offers in-depth coverage of the world’s foremost academic and popular film journals
Periodicals available in the KC library that contain movie reviews
- Film Quarterly
- People Weekly
- Time Magazine
Periodicals available through the Electronic Journal Center that discuss film related topics When accessing from off-campus, a login screen will display. Enter your user name and ID number and click Login Securely.
- Camera Obscura
- Camera Obscura (2005-)
- Cinema Journal
- Film History
- Framework: The Journal of Cinema and Media
- Journal of Film and Video
- Moving Image
- Science Fiction Film and Television
- Velvet Light Trap
- Wide Angle
Periodicals available through Academic Search Premier that discuss film related topics
- Film Comment
- Films in Review
Periodicals available through Film & Television Literature Index that discuss film related topics
- Cinema Scope
- Film Criticism
- Film Culture
- Film Journal International
INTERNET RESOURCES ON THIS TOPIC
Film Review resoucres on the Web
- New York Times on the Web: Current Film
Reviews of movies currently playing in theaters. Free but requires registration.
- New York Times on the Web: Archive
All New York Times film reviews since 1996
- MRQE (Movie Review Query Engine)
Searches for movie reviews available on the Internet.
- University of Iowa Film Studies Resources
From the University of Iowa Department of Communications, a list of web-based resources for film studies.
- Scope: An On-line Journal of Film Studies
An online journal of film studies edited by staff and students within the Institute of Film Studies at the University of Nottingham providing a forum for discussion of all aspects of film history, theory and criticism.
- Images: A Journal of Film and Popular Culture
An online journal that focuses on film and its place in popular culture
- Kinema: A Journal for Film and Audiovisual Media
An online journal of film studies.
- Guide to Web Resources on Film Studies
Includes a partially annotated list of links in numerous areas of film study such as reviews and other special topics.
- GreenCine Movie Primers
This commercial site has primers on film genres that provide the history of each genre.
- Internet Movie Database (IMB)
Information on movie and TV movies and TV series. Anyone can submit a review.
- Bright Lights Film Journal (April 1996, no. 16 to present)
Articles, profiles, reviews, interviews, and more.
Covers all aspects of the use of sound in film.
- Masters of Cinema
Focuses on works of major film directors, but also includes many other types of information on film.
- American Film Institute
AFI is a national institute providing leadership in screen education and the recognition and celebration of excellence in the art of film, television and digital media.
- British Film Institute
The BFI (British Film Institute) promotes understanding and appreciation of film and television heritage and culture. Established in 1933, the bfi runs a range of activities and services.
- Cahiers du Cinema.com
Film criticism is the backbone of the work of Cahiers. Pick English from: Choose your language.
- Society for Cinema & Media Studies
Devoted to the scholarly study of film, television, video & new media
- Film Theory & Criticism
A comprehensive directory of film theory and film criticism websites
- AMC Filmsite: Greatest Films
Detailed plot synopses, review commentary and film reference material are just some of the features available on the site. The site also contains film analysis, overviews of selected genre.